Historic Lisbon Cemetery
1 Elm Street
Lisbon, OH 44432

Get Map

Phone: 330-424-7970
Since 1876, the cemetery has been overseen, maintained and operated by a three-person
board of trustees, appointed by the mayor with the approval of the village council. Under this
leadership, the cemetery has grown to over forty plus acres and many consider it the most
beautiful in the county. Day to day maintenance is the responsibility of one full-time
maintenance supervisor and one part-time laborer along with a part-time clerk.
Over the years, several improvements have been made to the original cemetery:
  1. Additional land has been secured through reclamation, donation, and purchase
    and incorporated into the cemetery grounds for burials.
  2. Road ways through the cemetery have been paved.
  3. New water lines and drains have been installed.
  4. Entrance gates to newer sections of the cemetery have been added.
  5. New structures have been built and maintained.
  6. Extensive landscaping and tree preservation has been done (several of the trees
    are over 200 years old).

The Cemetery Office is open Monday through Friday from 10 am to 2 pm.

(330) 424-7970

Cemetery Maintenance Supervisor
Brian McCulley

Cemetery Clerk
Arlene Obertance

The following
Board Members may also be contacted at the above number:






Lisbon Cemetery and Mausoleum Rules/Regulations
Lisbon Cemetery, Mausoleum, Columbarium Fees List
Many historic elements are incorporated into the cemetery landscape: a Civil War era
naval cannon and sea mine, secured by William McKinley, 25th President of the United
States, is here. A footbridge constructed of Carnegie steel and placed into the cemetery
prior to 1900 spans a ravine. A cast iron fence, ca. 1870 that once enclosed the "old"
Market Street School, now encloses the grounds of the cemetery office. The estate of U.
S. Supreme Court Justice, John Hessin Clark funds the beautiful and grandiose iron gates
that adorn the main entrance into the cemetery. There are also monuments to the
veterans of WWI, WWII, and the Korean War. Soldiers who participated in all American
wars from the Revolutionary War to the Vietnam War are buried here.

There is also an historic side light to the cemetery, the Hanna or Old Quaker Cemetery.
Although this small plot of ground in a grove of trees at the east end of the cemetery is
not officially part of the cemetery, the board of trustees and maintenance crew take care
of it. The Hanna family members were early residents and made significant contributions
to history of New Lisbon, Columbiana County, and the United States.
Photo By Jerry Tyson
Photo By Jerry Tyson
Photo By Jerry Tyson
Brief History
Cemetery Administration
Barry James, Chair
Gene Krotky
Wendell Cole
Henry Springer opened the historic Lisbon Cemetery, owned by the Village of Lisbon,
in 1834 with the burial of his father, Dr. Joseph Springer. In June 1988, a chapel was
erected through a community wide effort and is now used to conduct all graveside
services.
A privately owned mausoleum, erected in 1914, was sold to the village by Mrs. Doris Eells
for $1. This structure is in the art deco style that reintroduced a likeness to Egyptian
tombs and temples. The extensively restored mausoleum is still in use and available for
those who choose this method of burial.
Interior of the Mausoleum
Improvements
Columbarium
Our Columbarium was erected in 2014 in our Memorial Plaza.